Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Interesting Social Trends

Here are a few things that I've seen recently on the news. They are very interesting to me. I guess I should have been an anthropologist because things like this really get me thinking.

Serial Monogamy
This concept is very interesting to me. It's been talked about more recently as people are living longer lives. It seems that back in "the day" people only lived until their 60's (if they were lucky). A marriage would last around 30 years. A good long time (if you ask me)! Now, people are living well into their 80's and 90's. It is not uncommon for people to be married for 30 years, then divorce and get married again for 20-30 years. It makes perfect sense. I've only been with my husband for 10 years and sometimes that seems like an eternity! Not that I'm trading him in anytime soon. We still enjoy each other's company and have things to talk about. I would say we are pretty equal partners in this relationship and family. But, I can totally see how people drift apart when their children grow up and move out. Leaving only the two of you day in and day out. I pray that this will never happen to us. It is interesting that people choose to get into another long term relationship. I think that if something were to happen to my husband or our marriage that I would NOT get into another long term relationship. It's a LOT of work. I'd probably just "play the field". At least I could mix things up and keep it interesting.

Another interesting item deals with
Starter Wives
The whole concept that a man marries a woman early on in his adulthood and career. She sees him through the good times, the bad times, possibly college. Usually they have some children that she helps raise. Then he has a "midlife crisis" and decides to trade her in for a younger model. A lot of times he leaves her high and dry and lives like a teenager again. I can totally see where these women want revenge! A lot of times they help put these men through school and help them start their careers. A lot of times they are there during the really bad times and the scary and risky times of starting a business and career. Then, right when the men feel their most confident and have reached their full potential they drop these women like a hot coal. They find a skinnier, prettier, younger model, who will put up with their arrogance and crap. My husband knows darn well that this will NOT be happening in our house. He likes to joke that when I turn 40 he's turning me in for two 20's. HA HA! I tell him that he won't have enough money to support his two 20's so he might as well not even bother. Of course, I really don't think he would. He's the more sentimental and sensitive of the two of us.

2 comments:

Boricua in Texas said...

My mom is a serial monogamist. She was married to my dad for 30 years. After she died, she dated a few people, then met my stepdad. They have been together now for 10 years and I think they'll stay together until one of them passes. I can totally see why people do it. We all need company, nobody likes to be alone especially as people get older.

The Starter Wife thing pisses me off so much I can't even put it in words, other than to say it's a very, very selfish thing in my view.

Daisy said...

My husband claims his "midlife crisis" will be a two-seater convertible. I keep reminding him that when he gets his convertible, I get my Harley.
We'll have to do road trips together. :)