Wednesday, January 23, 2008

HAIR!

So, ladies, do you love your hair?

It seems like, as women, maybe men too, we have this love/hate relationship with our hair. We hate ours and love everyone else's. If our hair is straight we want it curly, if it's curly we want it straight. We're always striving to have someone else's hair, Jennifer Aniston, Victoria Beckham, Dorothy Hamill (maybe not so much nowadays).

I know I do. My hair is stick straight. And fine. It sucks because it's always limp. If I have it cut shorter then sometimes I can get some volume. But, I really like my hair long enough to put in a ponytail or clip. I've considered a perm, but do people still get perms? Or is that too 80s? I would like just a bit of wave in it. That way I wouldn't have to blow it out every morning. Of course, damn genetics have given one of my daughters the complete opposite. Thick, curly hair. Which she hates. She tries to straighten it all the time only to have it come out completely frizzy. What gives?

And what about color? I've had every color under the sun. It's been purple, orange, red, blonde, brown. Right now it's pretty blonde. I'd like to go towards my more natural light brown, but I'm not sure. It's been blonde for awhile now. And blonde covers all the gray. You cannot believe how much gray I have! I'm thinking of doing brown with highlights, but the maintenance scares me. I usually get my hair cut every 2-3 months. With highlights I'd have to go more regularly.

The good thing is that hair grows back. It's the one thing that I'm willing to take risks with. I've had hair down past my butt and hair shorter than my ears! I've had all sorts of colors and combinations. Bangs, no bangs. Layers, no layers. I like to have fun and experiment with my hair. Because I know that it'll grow back.

So, what about you? Do you experiment? Do you love your hair?

13 comments:

CamiKaos said...

my hair an I have an understanding...

I understand that it will do whatever the hell it wants to (unless it is with my hair stylist and then it will do whatever the hell she wants it to).

But like you it's been every color imaginable, short short short, loooooong, layered, banged, straight. I tend to like a cute short bob or reallly long. I'm growing out now.

DIXIECHICK said...

My hair and I have a hate/hate relationship....my hair has been brunette until 25, then for 12 years it was blonde...I liked myself better as a blonde....but due to moving out in the boondocks..away from the city, well water started turning it orange...had to go back to brunette...couldn't afford the up keep..serioulsy, it was costing me like a $100 a month....now, the greys are starting to show, so I have to go for a color every 2 1/2 months..the cut, oh, my...don't even get me started there....I won't long wavy hair...but, awhile back, I got it cut short...just will not grow....hopeless, I tell ya, hopeless...

Summer said...

Do I experiment? Do I ever! I'm always thinking about what color, what cut I'll do next. I'm thinking it needs to go short and funky again, and maybe back to pink... I just dyed it cinnamon red two days ago, and I'm already plotting my next trip to the beauty supply store!

Sara@Sarandipity said...

I actually love my hair. I always have. I'm sure I'm one of the few who actually can say that. I keep it long, mainly because I like to cut it short once every couple years to donate to Locks of Love. It's actually pretty low maintenance, too. I just wash, dry my bangs and let the rest air dry. Saves on causing split ends and taking up time in the mornings. The one thing I'm not fond of is the coloring I have to do. I started going gray early on in life so I have to color once every couple months at home...I'm so not a salon girl and refuse to pay their high prices for something I can do in an hour or so in my own bathroom. I use the box brands and have been pretty happy with the dark browns to black.

Corey~living and loving said...

ummm no...I do not experiement. I have had the same Non-hairdo for the last 20 years....I am trying to get the nerve to do something different.

mielikki said...

I experiment somewhat, but my hair is straight, and stubborn and fine. Luckily, I have a good stylist who helps me out, and gives me easy to manage cuts, length depending on what I feel like. . .

Peggy Sez.. said...

My hair is straight and fine also. I had a really cute short hairstyle back in the summer,but let it grow out. One day (two weeks ago) I had myself a thought.By golly I need me some body in this hair, so off I go to the hair salon I go.Big rollers..The biggest I sez...Don't leave the solution on too long I sez..Just TRIM my bangs I sez. Well ladies let me tell you I wish I had the guts to post a pic of my 80's style curly PERM.Now I have to style the delightful stuff if I want it to look decent...I hate styling :(

Mary Ann said...

I do like my hair. There is nothing like the anticipation of going to the salon to get a new "do." I also love highlights although I have been too cheap to get them for the past few years. I am anxiously looking forward to March because I decided this Spring I am going back to short hair and blond highlights.

sybil law said...

I don't mind my hair. It's not so much thin as it is fine, and really, that makes it easy. I can get it curly, straight, and dye it any color with almost no bad consequences. Then again, I have the same attitude as you - it's hair, it will grow out, so I don't stress too much over it either way.

Lisa said...

I don't like my hair. I have always not liked my hair. Remember how much hair I have?? No Trujillo ever went bald, I can assure you....

holly said...

i always think about coloring my hair.
but
a) i don't know what color
b) i'd definitely screw it up. so i don't bother.

i always wished i had curly hair, but every time i've had a perm (the last one was 20 years ago) i looked like a total freak.

Heather said...

Ever since I've become THE John Freida product line spokeswoman, I actually started liking me hair.

Meaning once I stop fighting what I had and worked with it instead, I started liking.

Also, it took paying out the money for fancy salons too. I pay $50 just for a cut, but those higher end stylist show you how to work with your hair, plus they know what they are doing.

All in all...the more expensive stylist has made all the difference for me.

Jo Beaufoix said...

Hmmmm.
My hair is ok.
I used to hate it as it was fine and wavy and fluffy and brown.
Now it is very curly and boingy, but still fine. (God knows where the curls came from, but they are natural.)

I would love to have thicker hair like your gorgeous girl's, but my hair is ok.

When I was a kid it was bad though. Baaaaad.