Thursday, January 17, 2008

My new addiction



Yum!

Believe it or not, I just started drinking coffee a few months ago (thanks Starbucks!).

In high school it was cool to drink coffee after a night on the town. We'd all end up at Perkins in the wee hours of the morning and everyone would order a coffee. Except me. I thought it tasted awful. So bitter.

Everyone told me it was an acquired taste, but I wasn't able to acquire it. (Same with beer if you must know.) I just went on with my life without coffee. As an adult I was always offered coffee, but would decline. But, I have to admit I felt like a loner sometimes. (I must have issues, who feels like a loner because they don't drink coffee?)

Then the whole Starbucks explosion happened. And I was even more of a loner. Everyone was always talking about it and carrying around their white cup with the big green logo. I felt like I was missing out on something. It MUST be great if everyone else does it.

So, my first try was a regular old latte. I thought it tasted awful. It tasted like what I thought coffee grounds would taste like. Awful! But, I kept on. A friend suggested a Pumpkin Spice Latte. This was better, but still needed some sugar. THEN, someone suggested a Frappacino. Um, yeah. The addiction began. THOSE are good! And so many flavors.

It didn't help that our grocery store put a Starbucks inside. Every time I went shopping I had to try it. Peppermint Mochas, Eggnog Lattes, Gingerbread Lattes, Iced Lattes in the summer. Yeah, I've tried them all.

But, it was getting expensive. So, I decided to buy myself an cappuccino maker. I'm sure I'd save a ton. I ended up getting a real bargain on a great one at Target! It was only $50 on clearance when they were selling for $200 at Amazon.

I love it! I love that I can make whatever flavor I want and that I can add more or less espresso (I still like it weak) and that I can use my flavored coffees to make it. We made Eggnog Lattes with real egg nog, not just the spice, YUM! And my newest obsession is the International Delights creamers, in particular the Chocolate Mint Truffle. I add a little to my milk when I froth it. It's SO good. I end up drinking quite a bit of coffee thanks to these yummy flavors.

And, now I can finally fit in. I think I feel more "adult" now. Coffee was always something that adults drank and I always felt childish when I didn't. It's weird because I don't feel a need to conform in most areas of my life, but this one really bothered me!

13 comments:

holly said...

i totally identify with this. and i too have *just* started drinking coffee. the adult drink. but *my* starbucks drink is iced chai tea. totally addicted to that, to the demise of my waistline.

perkins - that reminds me of college.

i miss not feeling like an adult, i may drop the coffee. dunno. makes me crabby if it is even slightly too strong.

DIXIECHICK said...

I used to be the same as you..hated coffee..then one night, working 2nd shift at the hosptial, one of my employees was using a "chocolate" creamer in her coffee and offered to make me one, with one sweet and low and a little of her creamer....I was hooked from that point forward. I can't drink it black, always has to have a little sugar and creamer....I love those creamers...I love the pumpkin spice..never tried the chocolate mint one..but I'm gonna now...

mielikki said...

I only really drink coffee when I am really cold, when I want kahlua in it, or at work, and it HAS to have creamer in it. I'm with Holly on the chai's, though. . .

Anonymous said...

I too feel a little left out of the Starbucks clique since I don't drink coffee. I guess lucky for me I have never really given it a chance since I didn't like it. Save me some $ right? I remember when I was a kid my little sister told on me because I tried coffee in a hospital cafeteria, because coffee is definitely an adult drink right? ha ha memories

Eric said...

Ah, yes, the Starbuck's addiction. It's hard to avoid when there's one inside Target and the grocery store. You almost *have* to go to Starbuck's. I do not like coffee either, generally speaking, but I do like "foo-foo" coffee. So if you can add sugar and creamy stuff and make it really bad for you, I'm all for it. :) Of course since I'm still breastfeeding, I only drink decaf which seems like a waste of coffee, but whatever.

sybil law said...

Yuck. Coffee.
But like Mie, throw in some liquor (Amaretto for me), whipped cream and cherries... Mmmmmmmm....

kouredios said...

Perkins! WNY holla! Hee.

Peggy Sez.. said...

Amaretto and Kahlua! NOW we're talking coffee.I only drink coffee in the mornings..with the news. But,with an extra shot of alcoholic goodness,you could coax me into another cup or three. ;p

Another Mom on the Internet said...

Welcome to the darkside! LOL

~angie

Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

coffee. live on coffee - black. how's that for grown-up? hee hee.

Heather said...

Chocolate mint...now that sounds like a flavor I might like. I'm usually a straight up, black coffee kinda girl, but chocolate mint...mmmmmm!

Just Jinny said...

I was the same exact way! I loved the smell of coffee, but couldn't believe how nasty it tasted. I still don't drink black coffee. It's half sugar/creamer and half coffee for me. And I love Starbucks frappacinos! Usually any flavored coffee drink I order I have to add sugar to. Come read my post about my coffee addiction: http://realworldgirl.blogspot.com/2007/11/its-amazing-how-world-begins-to-change.html

Jo Beaufoix said...

Hee hee. I know how you feel with this one. I love tea, but coffee? I can take it or leave it. We haven't got a Starbucks near us so I don't feel too left out, but I get why someone might.