Tuesday, November 13, 2007

What do you do all day?

Ahhh, I've been so busy. Just a quick post. I'm trying to catch up on my reading, plus life. I'll be back in full form soon, promise.

So, I get asked questions about my job all the time. When I tell people that I work for a judge, they have tons of questions. They think it's like the shows on TV. And that I'm in the courtroom and all sorts of crazy stuff goes down. Um, no. Nothing like that.


Unfortunately, it's not really an exciting job. I do love my job and love my boss, but it's not all that glamorous. On the TV shows, the others get all the limelight. They never show the Judicial Administrative Assistant. I'm not the bailiff, not the clerk in the courtroom, not the court reporter. I'm the behind the scenes girl.


Basically, I handle my judge's calendar, in and out of court. I do all of her secretarial type of work: typing letters, answering the phone, preparing her files, making travel arrangements, massaging her feet (just kidding). I draft her orders and rulings and get them filed. I am her bodyguard. Actually, I kindof am. I have to make sure that no one has ex-parte communication with her. So, I screen her calls and guests. Sometimes I research cases and past filings.


Right now we're on a Juvenile court rotation. And my judge is the Presiding Judge. So, she holds lots of meetings. Sometimes I have to take notes. A lot of times I have to work her schedule to make sure she gets to all of these meetings. That is a full time job itself.



It may not be glamorous, but my boss is the best. She is great about backing up her employees. And she always thanks us and lets it be known that she appreciates us. We have six women in our division and we get along wonderfully. I actually job share. I work the beginning of the week and she works the end of the week. It works out really nicely for us.


I have to admit that sometimes work is my respite. I love my children dearly, but sometimes I need to get out of the chaos and go to my quiet place. And I NEED adult interaction. It really is the best of both worlds. Plus, where else would I be able to catch up on all of my blog reading?

9 comments:

CamiKaos said...

I think job sharing is so wonderful!!!

nice to see what Lori does when she isn't home with the kids.

Corey~living and loving said...

great post Lori....even though I have know you for almost 3 years, it was wonderful to really hear more about what you do. :)

sybil law said...

Nice. I could get into a job like that! Good to know what you do! Also, so funny that to get away from the chaos of home, you go to work.
Understood. Totally. :)

mielikki said...

sounds really kind of like a cool job, I'm glad you have one you like so much!

Bubblewench said...

That rocks you can job share. And I totally know what you mean about your 'quiet place' and also the catching up on the reading!

Sounds like you have a pretty cool job that you like. That's awesome.

Bubblewench said...

That rocks you can job share. And I totally know what you mean about your 'quiet place' and also the catching up on the reading!

Sounds like you have a pretty cool job that you like. That's awesome.

DIXIECHICK said...

Sounds like you have a great job..I wish I had great co-workers like that...As it is, I clock in, do my work, clock out and go home.
My relationship with my co-workers is strained at best, so having those you can job share with and get along with is great!

Anonymous said...

Great post. Plus we all now know where we can come for fee legal advice, right?

Nikki said...

I currently work full time. I work in front of the computer all day and I am starting to get "office *ss". It's not very fun. I wish I could come up with a job share or telecommute situation for my job, but my employer is old school...so I do not see that happening any time soon.

Nikki